News Articles

Continue News Bulletins

16th December 2009


7th Cavalry Regiment

BLUMENAUER, ROY CHRISTIAN, 80, of Palm Coast, FL, passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2009. Roy was born in Frederick, MD, on June 7, 1929. After graduation from Frederick High School, Roy enlisted in the U.S. Army at age 17 and was assigned to "H" Troop, 7th Cavalry Regiment during WWII. During his deployment abroad, Roy served as a guard at the Japanese Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Later in life, he was honored to serve as President of the National 1st Cavalry Diviaion Assocaition.

By: Jim Brigham

6th December 2009


4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry

A memorial service was held for SPC Joseph Lewis, 26, KIA in Afghanistan on 17 November. He previously was assigned to the storied 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Camp Garry Owen, Korea. Seventh First, Out Front...Garry Owen! .. >>> more >>>

By: Online News

Continue News Bulletins

6th December 2010

The Year of the Horse

Bob Powers never intended to write a book. He just wanted to tell his story. "1966: The Year of the Horse" started out as a personal manuscript for his family. Powers was going to tell them what it was like to serve nine months in combat in Vietnam with the 5th Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Air Cavalry Division.

It was a story he kept to himself for years, and Powers gets emotional talking about it.

When he was discharged from the U.S. Army in 1968, it was a tumultuous time, marked by the Kennedy and King assassinations, the Chicago Democratic Convention and the Kent State killings.

"I found out real quick that people did not want to hear about Vietnam (at that time)," Powers said.

Unlike a lot of books on the subject, "The Year of the Horse" is an autobiography, a story told through the eyes of a private, not an officer. 1966 was the Chinese Year of the Horse, and the horse was the symbol of his 1st Cavalry.

The hardest part about writing the book was getting started, Powers said. The stories were all in his head, every detail.

"I had more problems with punctuation and grammar," he said. "I'm not a writer."

The retired electrician from Mokena penned a couple of chapters and took it to the Writers Club at the Mokena Public Library. That group encouraged him to write it as a book and self-publish it.

He spent eight months composing 228 pages on his laptop computer. The book's photos also are his own, taken with the small camera that fit under his helmet. He outlined his stories chronologically, did some research, verified dates and places, and relied on letters he had written to his mother.

"It's my story and a story of the guys I was with. I would like the guys to be remembered," Powers said.

He served with what he called "fantastic people" - men who were awarded medals for distinguished service and Congressional Medals of Honor - some posthumously.

"We lost a lot of people. Purple Hearts were a common thing," he said.

Powers was nearly killed himself. He was severely wounded and 40-plus years later still has shrapnel in his right shoulder. He, too, earned the Purple Heart and many other awards.

So, yes, his story has to address the very grim side of that war. But it also includes many interesting tales.

It begins in 1965, when Powers tried to enlist in the Army Reserves. He took a physical but was rejected due to unstable ligaments in his right knee, a lower-spine abnormality and flat feet.

Months later, when he got his draft notice, he thought it was a mistake. It wasn't. Flat feet and all, he was accepted into the Army.

"I never considered myself a soldier. I was an electrician," he said.

At the time, he had just finished his apprenticeship.

"I didn't know anything about Vietnam," he said.

He learned under the most horrific circumstances. He learned about life without simple things like showers, toothbrushes and coffee. When his mom sent care packages with instant coffee, he and the guys learned to heat water "really fast" using plastic explosives.

In 1966, he ate his Thanksgiving dinner on a paper plate out in the field during a monsoon.

"Water from my helmet was washing the food off my plate," he vividly recalled.

He came face to face with death on a regular basis as comrades and friends were killed in action.

"I wondered if I was going to get it," Powers said.

He almost did. He was wounded in a mortar attack, severely injuring his right arm and both legs.

"When medevac came to get me, I was glad I was leaving," he said.

He spent four months in the hospital and his last four months in the Army at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.

His favorite part of the book, obviously, is the end, about when he was discharged and ready to get on with life.

"This is going to be a nice day," he said to himself.

Powers' book was published 11 months ago. He said he's already sold "quite a few," but added, "It's not about how many I sell. I just hope people read it and enjoy it."

He's presented it to veterans groups and public libraries. Manhattan-Elwood Public Library invited Powers to do a book signing, which drew a lot of interest. The book also is available in local libraries, Barnes & Noble and Borders book stores, and on

The man who said he couldn't write already is planning his next book on a lighter topic - "A Boy in Brainerd" - about growing up on the South Side of Chicago in the 1950s and '60s.

Stay tuned.

Submitted By: Online News

10th November 2010

SGT Michael Madden LBH 1876

The Moniteau County Historical Society in California, Missouri discovered the unmarked grave of SGT Michael Madden a survivor of the Little Big Horn. He died here in 1888 and his bones laid mouldering in this pauper Potter's Grave section of the city cemetery. The historical society, with some difficulty, finally obtained a U.S. Military grave marker for him. It will be dedicated this Veteran's Day in a ceremony including the playing of Garyowen.

Submitted By: Richard Schroeder

9th November 2010

"A" Company, 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry.

HAMPDEN TWP. — A West Shore man will be honored in Philadelphia on Thursday for his services in the U.S. Army.

Bill Beck will be awarded the Silver Star for his accomplishments in combat in 1965 in the la Drang Valley in LZ X-Ray with the 7th Cavalry Regiment.

Beck was awarded the Bronze Star and will now receive the higher honor for his efforts. The Vietnam War veteran is also an artist and his work will be shown at a museum in Auburn, Ala.

The battle Beck fought in was the subject of the best-selling book "We Were Soldiers Once . . . And Young," which was made into a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson.

The ceremony in Philadelphia will be arranged by the Armed Services Council of the Union League of Philadelphia.

Beck will also be presented with a pair of golden spurs, also a high-honor cavalry award.

Bill Beck served with "A" Company, 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry.

Submitted By: Ron Migut

31st May 2010

Korean War story has miracle ending for George and Richard Miles

George Miles thought that he’d gone crazy.

Based on his surroundings, it wasn’t a bad assumption. His company had been under heavy attack from North Korean forces, and his captain had ordered a retreat; the last thing he remembered was diving into a blast crater, then feeling a sudden impact as an artillery round exploded right next to him. Thrown into the air like a rag doll, he blacked out before he hit the ground.

When he finally awoke, he tasted powder in his mouth and a few of his teeth were missing. Looking around, he saw dozens of other young men lying in beds all around him. Some were heavily bandaged and others were missing limbs.

Inspecting himself, Miles found that all of his body parts seemed to be intact, and slowly, he began putting things together.

He was in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital.

He was alive.

He was still a long way away from his home in Rochester, but he was alive.

But just as everything was beginning to make sense again, Miles spotted a man that he hadn’t seen for three years walking through the door of the MASH unit and immediately thought that the blast that knocked his teeth out must have knocked something loose in his brain as well.

“I turned and looked and said ‘That’s it. I’ve lost it. That looks like my brother coming through that door,’” said Miles.

The Miles brothers

George Miles was born in Wayne County in 1932 to Allan and Vera Miles and spent his childhood on a farm in Walworth as one of seven siblings. In his youth, his brother Richard, who is just 14 months younger than him, was one of his chief partners in crime; their crowning moment of mischief came when they stole bicycles and painted them, only to be chased around the house by their broom-wielding mother, who had just been informed by a police officer that her sons were thieves.

But when George was 10 years old, his parents divorced, and he, Richard, and their five other siblings were all separated into a handful of area foster homes.

“They took us to the welfare office, and we were all crying in the back of the station wagon as our mother and father waved goodbye to us,” said Miles. “It was hard.”

George Miles landed in Hillside Children’s Home, and through his teenage years, he lost track of most of his siblings, some of whom were still moving back and forth between foster homes.

As soon as he was old enough, he joined the National Guard and then the Army’s honor guards, spending time in Washington following an assassination attempt on President Harry Truman.

He then volunteered to assist in the conflict in Korea — since it was only being called a “police action,” he thought it couldn’t be all that bad, he said — and at age 17 Miles was shipped overseas, assigned to a company in the 7th Cavalry Regiment of the 1st Cavalry Division: General George Custer’s old outfit which was famously decimated by Native Americans in 1876 in the Battle of Little Bighorn.

“When I got there, I thought ‘Wow, this was a big mistake,’ because man, stuff was going off all over the place,” said Miles.

Before he knew it, he was in an infantry unit on the front lines, and his company was pinned down by heavy fire from North Korean forces. Cut off from the rest of the regiment, his captain ordered a retreat, while a nearby company provided covering machine gun fire.

As they were pulling out, Miles spotted a soldier wandering around in the open, dazed from a nearby explosion. He grabbed the soldier and started dragging him away from the front lines, when he heard someone yell “Incoming!”

He threw the soldier into an artillery crater and dove in after him just before the shell hit.

A week passed before he regained consciousness.

Custer’s outfit

Miles was still getting his bearings in the MASH when his brother Richard walked through the door.

Richard was scheduled to receive treatment for combat fatigue when a corpsman remembered that another soldier named Miles, who was also from Rochester, was recovering from battle wounds in a nearby unit.

The corpsman sent Richard down to George, and the brothers recognized each other immediately. When Richard reached the foot of the bed, they both started to cry.

“We didn’t even know each other was in the service,” said Miles.

His amazement grew when Richard told him about the company he’d been fighting with: a machine gun unit in the 7th Cavalry Regiment of the 1st Cavalry Division.

“I looked at him and said ‘General Custer’s outfit? What company?’ He says ‘Dog Company.’ I said ‘Oh my god, you were giving us supporting fire and you never even knew I was out there,’” said Miles.

The brothers spent another week catching up in the hospital, and when they got out, they were determined to transfer to a company where they could serve alongside one another.

Their higher-ups were wary of assigning family members to the same unit — an attack on the unit could mean sending two telegrams to the same address — but the brothers were insistent, and they were both placed in a mortar company that would provide support to the infantry.

The day after he was reassigned, mayhem broke loose on the front lines in a region later known as Bloody Ridge. The Miles brothers, safely positioned behind a hill that was overlooking the battle, fired mortar shell after mortar shell over the hill and into the fray, relying only on their forward observer to direct their shots.

Their mortar tube got so hot that they had to stop firing and wait for it to cool down.

“I said to Dick, ‘What in the hell is going on up there?’” said Miles.

Then, Miles spotted a wounded soldier being helped over the hill by a medic. He realized that the man was a member of his old infantry company and ran over to greet him.

“I said ‘Where’s the captain? Where’s the first sergeant?’” said Miles. “And he says ‘Take a good look. I’m the only one left.’”

With the enemy having overrun the front line, forcing infantry members to fight hand-to-hand, a commander had made the decision to wipe out the entire area. Miles had been unknowingly firing mortars down on the company he’d left just one day earlier.

He started weeping right there on the battlefield, and when he got back to his post, he told his brother: “I’m never going to forget this.”

‘A miracle’

The Miles brothers fought together in Korea for the remainder of their service and came home in 1952.

Now 78 years old, Miles lives in Ontario, Wayne County, and still visits his 76-year old brother, who is a patient at the Jewish Home of Rochester in Brighton.

A stroke has made speech difficult for Richard Miles, but tears still well up in his eyes when he talks about being in Korea with his brother, and to this day, friends, family and fellow veterans can’t help but be amazed by their story.

Fred Bacher, a Korean War veteran who attends church with George Miles, said that it’s the most outstanding private war story he’s ever heard.

“It kind of reminds me of the search for Private Ryan,” said Bacher, 80, of Webster, in reference to the 1998 Oscar-winning film. “But George wasn’t searching. It just came about; it was happenstance.”

If the Miles brothers hadn’t met in the MASH, George Miles wouldn’t have been transferred off the front lines and would likely have suffered the same fate as his old company, a fact that hasn’t gone unnoticed on his son.

“It’s really a miracle that that happened,” said George Miles Jr., 54, of Parma. “I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for that situation.”

His experiences have played no small role in his family members’ lives, either; George Miles Jr. was a U.S. Marine, and Miles’s grandson Matthew serves in the Army.

Earlier this month, Miles held a military gathering at Living Word Assembly of God Church in Ontario as a tribute to his fallen company.

During the service, which he’s hosted for the past 30 years, he spoke to the congregation and was joined by members of each branch of the military. He asked those in the audience who have served to stand up and identify themselves, and led the congregation in giving them a round of applause.

And if asked in private, he’ll tell his story of miracle and tragedy. Some veterans are reluctant to discuss their service, but Miles said that he made peace with his experiences long ago.

“I don’t know how many years I can keep doing it,” said Miles, “but I’ll do it every year for as long as I can.”

By: Online News

Continue News Bulletins

20th May 2010

West Point, VA

Hal Moore and SGM Plumley at the dedication of the LTG Hal Moore "Warrior Athlete of Excellence Award" ceremony at West Point.

Photo Submitted By: Joe Galloway

Continue News Bulletins

16th January 2010


1st Squadron 7th Cavalry


The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

SPC David A. Croft Jr., 22, of Plant City, Fla., died Jan. 5, 2010 in Baghdad, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device and small arms fire.

He was assigned to "B" Troop 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

Photo By: 1LT Josh Risher 1st Squadron, 7th US Cavalry

Continue News Bulletins

16th December 2009


7th Cavalry Regiment

BLUMENAUER, ROY CHRISTIAN, 80, of Palm Coast, FL, passed away on Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2009. Roy was born in Frederick, MD, on June 7, 1929. After graduation from Frederick High School, Roy enlisted in the U.S. Army at age 17 and was assigned to "H" Troop, 7th Cavalry Regiment during WWII. During his deployment abroad, Roy served as a guard at the Japanese Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Later in life, he was honored to serve as President of the National 1st Cavalry Diviaion Assocaition.

By: Jim Brigham

Continue News Bulletins

6th December 2009


4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry

A memorial service was held for SPC Joseph Lewis, 26, KIA in Afghanistan on 17 November. He previously was assigned to the storied 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Camp Garry Owen, Korea. Seventh First, Out Front...Garry Owen! .. >>> more >>>

By: Online News

6th December 2009


4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry

A memorial service was held for SPC Joseph Lewis, 26, KIA in Afghanistan on 17 November. He previously was assigned to the storied 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Camp Garry Owen, Korea. Seventh First, Out Front...Garry Owen!

He was a trooper with the 8th Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment, and served as both a Dismounted Scout and Stryker RV (Reconnaissance Vehicle) driver. He was a new husband and father, and irrefutably a fine man, an exemplary soldier, and an outstanding Cavalryman.

The Cavalry has its own traditions and legends, customs and canons. The Stetson, the spurs, the sabers, the grog (ugh, don't ask; just believe me when I say Cav guys are TOUGH), and the Order of the Garter to name a few, but perhaps the most revered is Fiddler's Green. First published in a U.S. Cavalry Manual in 1923, it is still used today to memorialize fallen troopers. It's the legendary afterlife of all Cavalrymen. As a Cavalry Mom I can recite it in its entirety, if a bit unsteady of voice at the end.

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die. In this case you are immortal, valiant trooper. Over your hallowed grave may the winds of Heaven whisper hourly benedictions.


By: Online News

16th November 2009


“It really doesn’t get any easier,” said his dad, Jeff Brewer of Bartlesville, who recalled spending time with his young son fishing or riding a BMX bike together.

“He was an outstanding kid with an absolutely great sense of humor who really cared about his friends,” said Jeff Brewer. “His last wishes were to take care of his friends.”

To that end, with the life insurance money, Jeff Brewer refurbished a 1991 Camero and gave it to his son’s best friend. He gave a generous sum to both of Adam’s nephews, one of whom is named after Adam, and financially helped Adam’s girlfriend finish college.

“It was really an honor to give money away on his behalf,” Jeff Brewer said.

The community responded to the loss with cards, letters and monetary donations for the Brewers.

“They donated enough money to put two kids through college,” he said.

During the funeral, Jeff Brewer said all the police officers that were off duty came to the service or stood on the street corners nearby. Even a two-star general attended.

“I was really touched by that,” he said.

People were standing in their front yards as the funeral procession drove by, he remembered.

“Everyone wants to make an impact when they die, and Adam did,” the elder Brewer reflected.

From 250 to 300 people attended the funeral, said Jeff Brewer, and he “knew every one of them.”

Ted Lockin, who served as Bartlesville’s mayor at the time, declared March 7, 2005 “Adam Noel Brewer Day” in a proclamation he read during the service that stated, “Whereas Spc. Adam Noel Brewer answered his country’s call and joined the United States Army, reflecting the hometown values of courage, honor and devotion to duty …”

Jeff Brewer said it really meant a lot to him to have that day dedicated to his son.

Adam Brewer was buried at Memorial Park Cemetery where full military rites were accorded by the U.S. Army Funeral Detail from Fort Sill. The flag that covered his casket now hangs on a wall where the elder Brewer works, accompanied by a plaque donated by the company.

On July 19, 2005, Sen. Jim Inhofe entered a memoriam to the U.S. Congressional record, concluding with, “He indeed gave all that he had, in life and in death, for his country. The legacy of such sacrifice challenges us on behalf of the Senate, this Nation, and the cause of freedom around the world, I honor a special Oklahoman and true soldier, Spc. Adam Brewer.”

He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star, according to Jeff Brewer. A third medal, showing an eagle with its wings outspread on a red ribbon, honored Adam for fidelity and efficiency.

After graduating from Bartlesville High School in 2001, Adam Brewer joined the Army. Following a stint in Germany, he was based with the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment, at Fort Hood, Texas, in Nov. 2004.

He had hoped one day to become a police officer, said his stepmother, Debi Brewer.

“He really didn’t know what he wanted to do, so he joined the Army — and he found his calling,” she said. “He was a great guy who is terribly, terribly missed.”

On the Web site, Fallen Heroes Memorial, many messages were left for the Brewer family, letting them know how much others cared for Adam Brewer. Family members, like Adam’s sister, Jennifer, and mom, Karen, left regular responses to the postings.

Sfc. Christopher Matthews, who was Brewer’s drill sergeant at Fort Benning, Ga., and his platoon sergeant during a portion of his first tour in Iraq, wrote, “I used to tease him a lot in the platoon in Germany because he was quiet. I just want to say that he was a great person and soldier. He was kind of a drill sergeant’s dream in basic training because he did everything right the first time and wasn’t any trouble ... Thanks for trusting the United States Army and myself with your loved-one and mostly for giving me an opportunity to meet and train such a wonderful kid.”

Sgt. Joseph A. Robb, of Fort Hood, Texas, wrote, “I was a close friend of Adam in 2/6 INF in Germany. Adam, Spc. Lee and myself were always together. Your son was by far the best friend I ever had. I’m sorry for your loss, and you should know that Adam’s memory will always live in our hearts.”

Adam’s girlfriend, Michele Chakas of New Hampshire, reflected, “You will always be my hero and you will always live on in my life. I won’t let time erase one bit of yesterday, nobody can take your place; I’ll keep you close to me and always remember the times that we had together.”

Bartlesville Mayor Ron Nikkel commented last week to all veterans and especially Spc. Adam Brewer.

“I do not know what it must be like to continually be subject to losing your life on a day-to-day, possibly minute-to-minute basis,” said Nikkel. “To all the veterans, I want to say ‘thank you.’ We have lost many men and women in this and other conflicts and wars. What a tremendous example of courage and determination these service men and women represent.

“As I think about the loss of life of Spc. Adam Brewer and the tens of thousands of others that have lost their lives, suffered torture, illness, injury and emotional devastation, I take courage that the people of these United States will properly give honor to those who serve us so unselfishly. But, in this particular case, I just want to say thank you, Spc. Adam Brewer, for all you gave.”

By: Online News

12th September 2009


FORT BENNING, Ga -- Retired Col. Rick Rescorla, a Vietnam veteran who died during the terrorist attacks on 9/11, will be honored with the unveiling of a bronze statue at 11 a.m. on Sept. 17, at the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center.

Rescorla, the vice president of corporate security for Morgan-Stanley, is credited for saving the lives of 2,700 people who worked in the World Trade Center's Tower 2. Seeing the first tower burn from his office on the 66th floor, he ordered the company's employees to evacuate - putting to use the regular evacuation drills he implemented for the brokerage firm's 30-plus floors after the 1993 truck-bomb attack. Halfway down, the second plane hit Tower 2. After getting the firm's employees out of Tower 2, Rescorla returned to the building. He didn't make it out.

"His heroic actions on (9/11), along with his extraordinary foresight and preparation, saved the lives of 2,700 people," said his widow Susan Rescorla.

The bronze statue was based on a Peter Arnett photo taken at la Drang, Vietnam, in 1965, when he served as a second lieutenant with 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment. The photo was also the cover of the best-selling book 'We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young' by Retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and Joe Galloway.

The statue unveiling will coincide with the arrival of a steel I-beam from the North Tower of the WTC. The beam, which begins a 1,000-mile road trip from New York to Fort Benning Saturday, is being dedicated to all the men and women of the U.S. Army who have lost their lives since the attacks and the Soldiers who continue to serve, said Greg Alspach, a volunteer coordinator with Iron and Steel-NYC.

Fire Engine No. 343, the New York Fire Department's ceremonial engine, will transport the 14-foot beam to Georgia with an escort of approximately 1,000 motorcycle riders, Alspach said.

A sister section of the beam was given to the U.S. Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Alspach said. In 2010, an additional section will be escorted to Washington, D.C.

For more information, visit: - Iron and Steel NYC to Fort Benning

By: Online News

25th August 2009

"Rescorla inducted into the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame"

As a soldier, Rescorla served in the 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry of the 1st Air Cavalry Division in Vietnam in the Ia Drang Valley battle of 1965.

COL Richard "Rick" Rescorla (retired) was born in Hayle, Cornwall, England. He died in 2001 after saving more than 2,700 lives in the World Trade Center.

He served in the Oklahoma National Guard while receiving his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Oklahoma and his law degree from Oklahoma City University.

As a soldier, Rescorla served in the 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry of the 1st Air Cavalry Division in Vietnam in the Ia Drang Valley battle of 1965, which became a book, “We Were Soldiers Once and Young,” and later a movie.

On Sept. 11, 2001, he was security director of Dean Witter, which had offices in the World Trade Center. He had trained employees on evacuating the buildings in the event of an emergency. That resulted in his saving more than 2,700 employees that day. He was killed going back into the building to look for more employees.

By: Online News

20th August 2009

"Anthony Labrozzi."
"A Man's Man"

We lost another hero Tuesday. LTC Anthony Labrozzi (1-7 1970) joined his beautiful wife, Anne, in Heaven. He, battle-worn; he, who answered his country’s call to honor; he, whose life was riven by the plowshare of not one but three wars, has reported in to the angel of angels, the Prince of Peace.

For us, the tears flow. Our eyes are blurred by the moisture of grief, though we know the Colonel is in a place of everlasting grace. And once again, he is with his beloved.

He was a man of action, a soldier’s soldier; a man of spit and polish, and above all, order. The Colonel and Anne blessed this world with four children—Scott, Steven, Tina, and Cara. I was not privileged enough to know his sons. I only know that they are men like their father, stout of faith and strong in the love of their families.

It has been my honor for more than 25 years to know his daughters. I have been to his house at most once in my life. It is a house carpeted with love. His kitchen table is infused by the gentle perfume of tens of thousands of baked cookies and roasted turkeys, absorbed through year after year of family time. His hallways echo with the laughter of his children as they grew up and now with the peals of chatter from his grandchildren. And who can forget the endless summer splash of the pool? This is the life for which he fought, and it embraced him in thanks and goodwill.

Men of the Colonel’s generation use words like honor, liberty, freedom, justice, compassion. For them, these words had tenor and meaning. He and his compatriots took enemy fire for them. Like many of his breed, he was a quiet man—stoic and proud. Yet at the same time, he found a way to be immensely selfless.

If a man’s legacy is judged by the children he leaves behind, then the Colonel’s is secure. His daughters are by no means stoic. I’m rather certain neither one knows what the word means. They are just the opposite—effusive, loving, demonstrative, compassionate to a fault. And these…these are the lives the Colonel fought for. May God bless him.

No one truly leaves this world until there’s no one around who remembers him. We remember Colonel—though our recollections may come to us amidst a flood of tears or through the gauzy haze of time—we remember. We bid you peace now, peace and gentle slumber. Your battle is won.

By: Jim Brigham

2nd July 2009

"They were soldiers once"
"Meeting war hero a dream come true for Brookfield resident"

Brookfield resident Jim Wiginton has admired Lt. Gen. Harold "Hal" Moore for more than 40 years. Moore, who wrote the best seller Were Were Soldiers Once ... And Young, had commanded the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry at the Battle of Ia Drang.

The bloody battle in 1965, later memorialized in a film adaptation of the book starring Mel Gibson as Moore, was the first major battle between U.S. and North Vietnamese forces.

A year later, Wiginton would be attached to the 7th Cavalry as the crew chief of a helicopter gunship in the 227th Assault Helicopter Battalion. He served during 1966 and 1967 and was wounded in battle.

"I saw action," said Wiginton, who avoided adding detail, saying he wanted the focus to fall on Moore. The Battle of Ia Drang claimed nearly 500 U.S. casualties, including about 240 killed.

Moore was awarded the distinguishes service cross, Legion of Merit, bronze star and purple heart during his years of service in the Army.

A former Riverside resident, Wiginton is a life member of VFW Post #6869, the former North Riverside organization which has merged with Berwyn VFW Post #2378.

Wiginton, who lived in Cicero when he was drafted into the U.S. Army, never got to meet his hero during his years in the service and always wanted to meet him ever since. Recently, while watching a TV documentary about the 87-year-old Moore, he said to his friend, Jane Wirengard, "If I'm living when he dies, I'll attend his wake."

To which Wirengard replied, "Why wait until he dies?"

Wirengard e-mailed a newspaper reporter who had written a story about Moore, and the reporter passed along her inquiry about setting up a meeting between Wiginton and Moore.

The next thing Wiginton knew, he was on his motorcycle headed south to Auburn, Ala., where he had an appointment to meet with his hero on May 26. The two talked for over an hour, Wiginton said.

"We talked about life in general, about the war, about the situation now," said Wiginton, who admitted he was blown away by the experience.

"I was excited before and after; it was something I so badly wanted to do," Wiginton said. "It was overwhelming."

Wiginton, who owns Perfect Image Hardwood Floors in Brookfield, convinced his idol to take a couple of pictures with him, including the two saluting each other wearing the 7th Cavalry Stetson.

The former helicopter crew chief also wanted to pass along information on a scholarship fund that Moore set up in 1994 after the publication of his best-selling book. Proceeds from book sales were used to fund the Ia Drang Scholarship Fund, which helps further the education of descendents of Ia Drang veterans.

Anyone interested in finding out more about the fund can visit online at LZ Xray Scholarship.


By BOB UPHUES Editor - Wednesday Journal, Inc.

By: Online News

21st June 2009

"Infantry Museum’s centerpiece exhibit moves Vietnam vet retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore"

A walking cane in his left hand, a Cavalry Stetson adorned with three stars atop his head, retired Lt. Gen. Hal Moore walked.

An 87-year-old battle-scarred soldier in his dress blue uniform, Moore experienced “The Last 100 Yards,” the signature exhibit of the new National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center at Patriot Park on Thursday night.

On the eve of the grand opening, about 175 military leaders, past and present, including former Secretary of State and retired Gen. Colin Powell and Vice Chief of Staff of the U.S. Army Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, gathered for a formal dinner and tour of the facility. The gathering included philanthropists from Columbus and throughout the country who helped make the museum possible.

On this night, Moore walked through the American Revolution, into the Civil War, into two World Wars and through Korea.

All along the way, he stopped and dutifully read the markers describing each battle depicted. He walked slowly, but he walked with purpose. As Moore neared the top of the ramp, he stopped. Vietnam. Air Assault at Landing Zone X-Ray. "I am familiar with this one,” he said as he marched toward the marker.

He stopped. Got as close to the words describing battle as his eyes would allow. He squinted. And he read every single word.

As he read, his face was a portrait of concentration, lips pursed. He walked up to the helicopter, a video screen playing on the inside. The grass moved as if the chopper was landing.

It was all too real. He looked into the face of one of the soldiers captured in a large photo inside the exhibit. “That was one of my men,” Moore said. These were Moore’s men, this was his fight.

What happened on that field in Southeast Asia was first a book, “We Were Soldiers Once ... And Young,” written by Moore and journalist Joe Galloway, and then a major Hollywood movie.

As Moore walked out the Vietnam War and onto the desert sands of the most recent wars, he stopped and looked back. “It felt like I was going backward in time and memories,” Moore said while standing on the 100-yard ramp. His words were choked with emotion.

Moore’s friend Toby Warren put the experience into words the lieutenant general could not. “He will not sleep tonight,” Warren said. “This reconnected him to his heart, all that his life has been about.” Moore’s wife, Julie Compton Moore, a soldier of a different kind on the home front during those trying times, is buried just up the hill in Fort Benning Main Post Cemetery. She died five years ago. The walk through the historic battles helped Moore put his place in history into perspective.

“He told me the book was for the men; the movie was for the men,” Warren said of Moore. “But walking through there it was not just for his men, but for all of the dead of this country including his men.”

Moore stopped as he got to the top of the ramp. He simply said, “I’m speechless.” Aflac Chairman Dan Amos walked the ramp, too, as soldiers — past and present — and those who made the $91 million museum a reality gathered for a meal before today’s dedication.

“I have seen a lot of people tonight who are speechless,” Amos said. Retired Columbus businessman Benjamin Hardaway III gave the museum his seal of approval. Hardaway, a World War II veteran who landed at Omaha Beach, was one of the many donors who made the museum possible.

“This is above my expectations — and they were high to start with,” he said. “I can’t see one thing that I would criticize.” Powell walked the ramp shortly after Moore. He will be the keynote speaker at today’s dedication.

As Powell got to the top of the ramp, National Infantry Foundation Chairman Jerry White, a retired major general and former Fort Benning commander, was explaining the symbolism of the American flag on a large video screen with soldiers marching out of the desert and into future battles. Powell just nodded. “Now that I have seen it, this is a remarkable tribute to the Infantry, the Infantry School and, frankly, the community that has supported it for so long,” Powell said. For some old warriors, the museum was an important trip into the past.

“I think this will help close a chapter in his life,” Moore’s friend Warren said. “This was a very serious trip.”

By Chuck Williams -

Submitted by: Jim Brigham

19th April 2009

"Wild Bill Franklin on LTG Hal Moore Highway"

The State of Alabama dedicated a portion of Hwy 280 to General Hal Moore, It runs between Columbus, GA and Birmingham. Govener Riley of Alabama was present and both TV and News papers reported on the event.

Submitted by: Ron Migut

17th April 2009

"SGT Evans - Vietnam in 1966-67"

Lawrence E. Evans was born in 1941 and grew up in the Rome area. True to his roots in Adams County, he entered the Army and served his birthplace and his country with honor in a war halfway around the world - a war that would claim his life many years later through his own country's use of Agent Orange.

You won't find Staff Sergeant Evans' name among the 58,260 casualties listed on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C. However, on April 20, Evans will be honored at the Wall, posthumously, along with 122 other American heroes from the Vietnam War era during the 11th Annual In Memory Day Ceremony.

"The Department of Defense developed specific parameters that allow only the names of service members who died of wounds suffered in combat zones to be added to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial," explains Jan C. Scruggs, founder and president of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund. "The In Memory program recognizes those men and women who have died prematurely as a result of the Vietnam War, but who do not meet the criteria. Many of their deaths are a result of Agent Orange exposure and emotional wounds that never healed."

During the ceremony, Evans' name will be read aloud. At the conclusion of the ceremony, a certificate bearing his name will be placed at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The certificate, along with personal items sent by his wife, Joyce Evans, will be collected by the National Park Service and stored in their permanent archive. Evans' name will also be added to the In Memory Honor Roll Book to serve as a lasting reminder of his service and sacrifice. With the addition of this year's honorees, more than 1,800 individuals will be honored in the book.

Agent Orange was a herbicide used in Vietnam to kill unwanted plants and to remove leaves from trees that otherwise provided cover for the enemy, according to a brochure published in 2003 by the Environmental Agents Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs. The name, "Agent Orange," came from the orange stripe on the 55-gallon drums in which it was stored.

Between 1961 and 1971, the U.S. military in South Vietnam used more than 19 million gallons of herbicides for defoliation and crop destruction. Several types and combinations of chemicals were used. Most of the herbicides sprayed in Vietnam were Agent Orange, which was used between January 1965 and April 1970.

As explained in the brochure, in the 1970s, some veterans became concerned that exposure to Agent Orange caused health problems. One of the chemicals in Agent Orange contained minute traces of TCDD (dioxin), which caused a variety of illnesses in laboratory animals. More recent studies have suggested that the chemical may be related to a number of cancers and other health problems.

In January, 2007, Evans was diagnosed with cancer. Three months later, Evans was approved for compensation because carcinomas in five locations of his body were determined to be connected to his exposure to Agent Orange by the Veterans Administration.

"As a grunt, a platoon leader and part of many recognizance missions, this chemical was a constant issue, said Joyce Evans. "He remarked on seeing it dripping from the foliage, often directly under the planes releasing the chemical. Agent Orange was in the creeks, that was often used for a quick way to wash your hands or splash water in your face to cool off."

Evans received two purple hearts during his time in Vietnam. The first came after he was shot in his right shoulder. He was given the opportunity to be released back to the states, but he chose to stay with his unit.

With the next injury, he no longer had a choice - his military career was cut short. While in the Le Hong Phoung Forest, either he or his point man, stepped on a land mine, setting it off. His body was expelled into the air, where he was shot before he reached the ground again.

"I believe Larry's wounds were primarily to his legs," another veteran, Fred Schaff, wrote in 2008 ofter Evans' death. "We were in an area of heavy vegetation and there was no place for the medi-vac helicopter to land. Larry has our medic, "Doc," James Bryant to thank for the treatment he received while waiting for the landing of the medi-vac. The remaining men of the unit used a machete to clear an area for the landing of the chopper... Larry's land mine accident happened on my very first mission."

Other locations where Evans' unit worked are not clearly recorded, according to Joyce.

"He also spent time in the la Drang valley, as Hal Moore, in We Were Soldiers," she said. "The paper work from the Vietnam area was poorly kept, not like it is now, stating every campaign each soldier is in," she explained. "We are unsure if he ws the company B referred to in Mr. Moore's book, or Larry's unit was one that went in approximately six months later. Both had many casualties."

Several veterans who served with Evans in Vietnam wrote to his family last year.

One wrote: "I wish I could have connected with Larry later in life to remind him of what an outstanding soldier and NCO leader he was, how brave and capable he was in battle, to quell any doubts he may have ever had about his service. How much I owed him for having trained me up under fire to be a good platoon leader - training and example that made me a better general decades later. I owed him a lot."

Mike Riley wrote: I served with and under Sgt. Evans in Vietnam in 1966-67. I used the training that Sgt. Evans gave me eventually to lead my own squad as a sergeant. I looked up to him as a leader and a good man. He taught me well and I made it home. He made sure his men were well taken care of and watched over us like a mother hen... My nickname for him was Rock."

Ron Flynn, Brigadier General, retired, wrote: "Larry touched many lives while we all served together in Vietnam. I was the platoon leader of Larry's platoon for a few months in 1966. He was a great soldier and squad leader. As I close my eyes, I can see his face, and the strength and professionalism he always displayed as he went about his duties as one of my squad leaders. He was absolutely fearless. Brave and serious. He saved our platoon more than once in firefights, because of the way he led his squad. His men respected him, I respected him."

Evans' unit was one of those awarded The Presidential Unit Citation for extraordinary heroism, signed by then President Richard Nixon in 1972. The citation was issued to the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, and the attached units, which comprised Task Force 2/7, who supported the Republic of Vietnam in its revolutionary development program in Binh Thuan Province. After a period of eight months, from August 25, 1966 to April 4, 1967, control of the province passed from the Viet Cong to free world military forces.

The In Memory Day Ceremony begins at 10 a.m. on Monday morning.

Submitted by: Online News

7th April 2009

"Doc Loose"

"Doc Loose" Randy Loose was given an outstanding military honors farewell at the Biloxi National Cemetery on 3 April under blue and sunny skies. Mark Lose, his nephew, organized the service that featured a former 82nd Airborne Reverend presiding, and a former XVIII Airborne Corps bandsman singing a solo and doing the readings.

About 45 minutes before the service, the Patriot Guard motorcycle group rolled in with American flags flying to honor Randy and to guard the service against any anti-war protesters who in other parts of the country have disrupted military funerals.

The local National Guard and Reserves were there in dress blues to handle the presentation of the flag to Pam Gerald, Randy's daughter, and to bugled taps. All of this was put together by Mark Lose, Randy's nephew, and former Navy man.

The Reverend Thack Dyson recapped Randy Lose's battle with PTSD, and other problems. Earnie Savage, Ed Times and I made some short comments about Randy and his actions at LZ X-Ray with the cut-off platoon. About 20 members of Randy's family attended as well as Billy Smith and Jim Ertle from B Company and a member of the 21st Artillery from Bob Barker's Battalion.

During the service we had unexpected air force participation with an air show from the nearby Kessler AFB going on and featuring F-15s doing their low level, etc. maneuvers.

Some of us were able to attend the family gathering afterwards at Mark Lose's house in Saraland, AL that featured some delicious southern cooking-Joe G. you would have really dug into that spread. I don't know how many of you saw Van Wilson's outstanding plaque that he made up on Randy. It was the main piece behind the urn containing Randy's ashes

Randy would have been proud and honored by his sendoff and we will all miss that brave medic-soldier who helped save many of his fellow troopers at LZ X-Ray.

"GarryOwen", Sir. John Herren

Submitted by: Jim Brigham

28th March 2009

"Ed Freeman"

You're a 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZX-ray, Vietnam .

Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is half-way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway. And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses. And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times..... And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , ID......

May God rest his soul.....

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we sure were told a whole bunch about some other stupid national story about Hip-Hop Coward beating the crap out of his "girlfriend." Medal of Honor Winner Ed Freeman! Shame on the American Media.

Submitted by: Robert Tallieu

26th March 2009

The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation today honored the Above & Beyond Citizen Honors recipients for 2009. One of the three unsung heroes, retired Army Colonel Rick Rescorla of New Jersey, posthumously, for going above and beyond on September 11, 2001 by courageously rescuing his fellow citizens by ordering the evacuation of all 2,700 Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co. employees from the building and leading them to safety, and following, by re-entering the building to search for survivors.

Cyril Richard [Rick] Rescorla served with the 1st Cavalry Division, 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry a 2nd Lt Platoon Leader with Company B where he demonstrated that he was a leader above others during the battle of Ia Drang in November 1965.

Rick was known as “The Prophet- the Man Who Predicted 9-11” as in an interview in 1998 he outlined what he had determined to be the predicable attack by Terrorist, he did have the date wrong but was correct about all that happened. But as the leader he was he had written and enforced practice of an evacuation plan for his company in the event of attack. This plan and the fact that he quickly made the decision to move out of the building all but six employees of Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Company were saved that day.

J.S. (Jim) Brigham Jr. LTC USAR Ret

15th March 2009

"Medal of Honor Foundation and Society"

Medal of Honor Foundation and Society whose Above & Beyond Citizen Honors would like to honor Mr. Rescorla this year in the ceremony at Arlington Cemetery on March 25, 2009.

27th January 2009

Nominate A Citizen Honoree Today

Every day in this country, ordinary Americans become extraordinary. It can happen in an instant of bravery, or through a lifetime of placing others before themselves. These acts of courage and self-sacrifice would inspire us all, if only we knew about them. Now, the time has come to stand up and celebrate, in our towns and in our cities, the selfless heroism that symbolizes the American spirit.

Every year on March 25, National Medal of Honor Day, three United States citizens will be awarded the Above & Beyond Citizen Honor, recognizing "Service before Self." They will receive this award from a group of Americans whose actions have defined the word courage - the fewer than 100 living members of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.

To be considered for this rare civilian honor, nominees must have made a difference in the lives of others through a singular act of extraordinary heroism, or through their continued commitment to putting others before themselves. For the American people, this is an opportunity to nominate your fellow citizens - your neighbors, and your co-workers, the heroes all around you. One finalist will be selected from every state in the Union, and from these remarkable citizens, three will be chosen to receive Above & Beyond Citizen Honors on March 25, 2009, in front of the entire nation.

This is very important as our efforts to get Rick the Medal of Freedom has resulted in nothing now we find this and ask each of you to please nominate Rick for Above and Beyond.

Please see article to help you with facts more can be found by searching google for Rick Rescorla. (click here)

I just found out about this while surfing the web today. I hope it's not too late for Rick Rescorla to be considered for this Honor in 2009

Please fill out the nomination form(link below) for Rick Rescorla ASAP

Nominations have to be sent before 20 February here to go to: >>>>>> Nomination form <<<<<<

Submitted by: Jim Brigham, LTC (retired) 7th United States Cavalry Association

Continue News Bulletins